Thursday, July 19, 2018

Readalikes: If you enjoyed July's selection . . .

If you enjoyed Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body by Roxane Gay, then you might also enjoy watching Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa cooking show and reading her cookbooks. Gay says in Hunger,
What I love most about Ina is that she teaches me about fostering a strong sense of self and self-confidence. She teaches me about being at ease in my body. From all appearances, she is entirely at ease with herself. She is ambitious and knows she is excellent at what she does and never apologizes for it. She teaches me  that a woman can be plump and pleasant and absolutely in love with food. She gives me permission to love food. She gives me permission to acknowledge my hungers and to try and satisfy them in healthy ways. She gives me permission to buy the "good" ingredients she is so fond of recommending so that I might make good food for myself and the people for whom I enjoy cooking. She gives me permission to embrace my ambition and believe in myself. In the case of Barefoot Contessa, a cooking show is far more than just a cooking show.
That's quite a recommendation.

And you might also enjoy watching Roxane Gay talk about her first big success as an essayist in Breaking Big, Episode 6, which will air July 20, 2018, on SC-ETV at 8:30 p.m. Here is a link to a clip from the program: https://video.scetv.org/video/roxane-gay-gets-noticed-jnmgdf/.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For reference, informational, or circulation questions or comments, please use our Ask-A-Question and Catalog Questions services at www.ccpl.org.